Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Talk about anticlimax!

I love “The Portrait of Dorian Gray”, and it would most likely rank within my top ten; I was therefor thrilled when I turned on the TV and realised a filmed version of the book was just about to be shown. But how could I ever have imagined that a 1945 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer production would do the book justice!? The worst of it all was when Dorian went in the saucy club at the beginning. I was full of expectations as to whom would be portraying Sybil Vane. But my god! I could not believe my eyes! Onto the stage comes that “Murder She Wrote”-woman, Angela Lansbury! That’s when I stopped watching.

Oscar Wilde would not have been pleased.

Luckily before I stopped watching, I had had a fair share of Sir Henrys cynical statements. That man is cool!

“I can sympathize with everything, except suffering.”

“It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But . . . it is better to be good than to be ugly.”

No comments: